Can over-ear headphones cause headaches?
Can over-ear headphones cause headaches?
Like you, I wish too that I didn’t get any aches after putting down my over-ear headphone. I’ve always wondered whether it is because of the quality of my headphone or am I using them wrong. I’m sure you wondered about it too. So I researched and came up with some interesting facts behind headaches from over-ear headphones. Also, I will add reviews of some comfortable headphones with their links.
You might also interested in Types Of Headphones By Technology
Do they cause headaches?
Time to unravel this truth. Yes, they are responsible for causing throbbing pain in our heads. If you experience pain in your ears, inside your head, and on the top part of your head, then your headphone is responsible.
Why do they cause headaches?
Now that you know your headphone is responsible, you also deserve to know why. Let’s get into that:
Wrong shape: Everyone has a unique ear shape, so headphone manufacturers make their products follow the average ear model. Different brands have different shaped models. So be sure about which fits you the best before buying it online or physical store.
It’s the size Most headphones either have sizes or adjustable functions. Check if the size is too small for you or not. The chances are high that your headphone will squeeze your head if you wear over-ear headphones in the wrong size.
Too loud: Hey, don’t get too excited as you start vibing with your over-ear headphone. Because turning up the volume for getting into self-party mode seems hard to resist, but it has after-effects. Your ear might start aching along with strong pain behind your head. Between 60 to 85 decibels is ideal.
Your position: If you are lying down with your over-ear headphones, you are not alone. I understand because I love to listen to music while lying down. Lying down on your sides with your headphone will create pressure on your ears and might damage your headphone.
Wearing other accessories: Hard to find people not wearing glasses. Your over-ear headphone is already creating tension on your head. If you’re wearing hair bands, earrings, glasses, clips, masks, etc., it’ll add even more pressure.
The longer you use it, the more painful it gets: It’s true for any electronics. Overusing will ultimately cause strain on your nerves. Even though you follow the other rules, you can still get headaches for using it for a more extended period.
Your lifestyle: Are you someone who has an irregular sleeping schedule and diet? Then you are most likely to suffer from headaches daily. On top of that, if you use over-ear headphones for a long time, then headaches are inevitable.
Ways to avoid aches from headphones:
- Put down your over-ear headphone as soon as you start sweating
- Don’t use it continuously for more than one hour.
- Avoid using max volume
- Don’t sleep listening to music
- Get right shaped headphones for yourself
- Ditch the tight ones
- Don’t use broken headphones
- Balance audio between two ears
- If the cushion is damaged, then change the headphone
- Avoid wearing anything else on your head and ears while using an over-ear headphone
Best comfortable over-ear headphones
I went through a few reviews about comfy over-ear headphones. I prioritized comfort while sorting these suggestions. What’s best for you depends on what you might be looking for other than comfort. See if you can choose one if you are planning to get a new pair:
- Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones WH1000XM3: Thick padding around the ears but very light pressure over the head, yet the thick cushion adds up to the total weight. But the headband is made in a manner that fits the head shape. Also has long-lasting battery life. Provides a wireless function. The noise-canceling feature makes it even more special. Its specialty is it has a voice assistant that enables it to perform many works. If you allow it you can receive calls hands-free, fix volume by covering your cup, and cancel noise according to your work.
- OneOdio Over-ear Headphones: With high-quality studio-grade audio, it has a comfortable design. But they don’t provide wireless features and are also problematic for people with bigger head shapes. Great noise cancellation. Movable cups can also be a problem as it makes them fragile. Though cups aren’t thick yet, they have comfortable padding around the edges where it’s needed the most. So considering the price, it seemed like a great deal for me.
- Skullcandy Cassette Wireless Over-Ear Headphone: They are cheap, foldable, and comfortable to wear. The lightweight design makes it even more worthy. The padding won’t make your ears sweat, they claim. It’s a Bluetooth device with an aux cord and has a flexible design, so no worries about your head shape. The battery runs up to 22 hours.
We disclosed a lot of new information about over-ear headphones causing headaches. Over-ear headphones are one the most favorite among us as it provides great sound performance. There is no way we can replace over-ear headphones. But these facts might discourage some of us from ditching over-ear headphones. Well, that’s not the case. The key lies in how you use it. So no need to hate on your over-ear headphones yet! Just try to maintain all the cautions and enjoy your best experience with your headphone. Headache isn’t such a trivial issue. You should pay more attention to your comfort to avoid further damage because nothing should be used at the cost of your health. Maintaining a healthy relationship with your devices will allow them to deliver the best performance and longevity. If you find your headphone too tight or unfit for you, you might consider selling them. Don’t forget to visit a doctor to detect any health damage.
Don’t forget to check In-Ear Vs. On-Ear Vs Over-Ear Headphones